It’s impossible not to feel all of the hope and sparkle that comes with the new year!
While eating treats over the holidays is delightful—
It’s always nice to start fresh in January.
How can you add healthy choices to your diet...
without feeling like you’re giving anything up?
By drinking vegan smoothies and juices!
Instead of thinking about “quitting” any foods or restricting your diet,
smoothies are a way that you can start to add-in healthy ingredients and vitamins into your day-to-day life.
Plus, they’re absolutely scrumptious.
Are you interested in learning the ins-and-outs of smoothie life?
Here’s what we’ll be covering:
- New Year, New You: Smoothies Packed With Antioxidants, Protein, and Vitamins!
- Creating a Superfood Smoothie: The Tools and Tips You Need to Know
- 15 Vegan Smoothie and Juice Recipes to Help You Get Your Glow On
Let’s get started!
Ginger Banana Green Smoothie from Alexa of Fooduzzi
New Year, New You: Smoothies Packed With Antioxidants, Protein, and Vitamins!
Smoothies and juices have been on the health scene for a while now…
But are they actually worth the hype?
And there are a few reasons why.
1. Powerful Source of Antioxidants
Since smoothies and juices are full of fruits, vegetables, and spices, they are the perfect way to get in your antioxidants.
Antioxidants have too many benefits to count! Here are just a few:
- Reducing inflammation
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Reduce the risk of some cancers
- Reduce the risk of cataracts and Rheumatoid arthritis
2. Improves Skin Appearance
It’s no secret that smoothies and juices are ultra-hydrating!
Keeping your skin properly nourished will help to improve your skin’s overall appearance.
If you are drinking smoothies for glowing skin, make sure to pack in ingredients that contains tons of vitamin C, antioxidants, and are hydrating.
Fruits and vegetables that contain these powerful ingredients are kale, pineapple, berries, and apples!
3. Help With Weight Management
Smoothies and juices are a great way to get the nutrition you need--
without overdoing it on calories.
Adding in nuts, seeds, and other protein sources can help you feel full throughout the day.
Combatting the tendency to overeat by eating nutrient dense foods is the first step in successful weight management!
4. Detox Your Body Naturally
What’s the perfect way to reset your system and your health?
By drinking plenty of healthy smoothies and juices!
If your smoothies and juices have tons of fruit and vegetables, water, and spices...
your body will start to glow from the inside out.
Here is a list of the 15 best foods for detoxing.
On the list is kale, celery, avocados, beets, and more!
Creating a Superfood Smoothie: The Tools and Tips You Need to Know
Talking about the benefits of juice and smoothies is one thing…
Making them is another thing.
If you’ve tried in the past to make your own smoothies and juices and failed to make them tasty—
Don’t get discouraged!
It can be a bit tricky to get the ingredients balanced and the consistency just right.
However, with the right toolkit—
You’ll be able to make vegan juices and smoothies that are packed with yummy flavors!
Here are the tools you’ll need in your kitchen to make a perfect smoothie or juice, every time.
1. A Chef’s Knife
Smoothies are all about fresh fruit and vegetables.
That means you’ll spend a fair amount of time prepping these to add to your morning smoothie!
Having a durable chef’s knife that is up to the task is going to save you tons of time in the kitchen.
Here are a few recommended knives:
- This green 4-piece ceramic knife set from Gayle’s Kitchen comes with three knives and a bonus vegetable peeler!
- If you’re looking to invest in your knives, then look no further than the Nakiri brand. Once you chop up your fruit and vegetables with this knife, you’ll never go back.
2. Cutting Board
A cutting board is something that everyone has in their kitchen.
However, as vegans, choosing the perfect cutting board for your lifestyle can really improve your time in the kitchen!
When looking for a great cutting board, here are a few things to look for:
- The Size: When making a typical daily smoothie, you may use 4-5 full-size fruits and vegetables. That can take up a lot of space on your board, so make sure you have a cutting board that is up to the task!
- The Grip/Weight: Ensuring that your cutting board will stay in place as you are chopping will help keep you injury-free.
- Convenience: Is it too bulky? Is it difficult to wash? Make sure that your cutting board fits in with YOUR lifestyle.
Based on these factors, here are a few recommendations:
- This cutting board has rounded edges, is durable, easy to clean, and odor resistant!
- For a traditional cutting board, check out this extra thick wood option that is perfect for cutting vegetables.
When it comes to making smoothies--
the most important tool in your kitchen will be the blender!
Blenders can vary from a mere $40, all the way to several hundred dollars!
Here are a few factors to consider when picking out your blender:
- Size: Whether you are making a single-serving smoothie, or enough for the whole family, make sure you get a blender that is up to the task!
- Settings: There are blenders with just one setting and blenders that have dozens of settings. If you are planning to make smoothies with ice, you will want a blender with at least 3-4 different settings.
Keeping price range in mind, here are three different options to explore:
- Budget-friendly option: This glass blender from Hamilton has over 14 different options and holds up to 40 oz.
- Mid-price option: This Ninja blender has several different options! It can serve as both a food processor and dough cutter.
- Luxury option: It’s pricey, but it’s the only blender you’ll ever need! Try out the vitamix if you are ready to dive deep into the smoothie lifestyle.
The difference between smoothies and juices is simple—
Smoothies use up the whole fruit when they are made, and juices use the extracted juice from the fruit and vegetables.
In order to extract the juice to make the perfect concoction...
you’ll need a juicer!
Juicers are wonderful because there is virtually no prep involved.
All you have to do is drop the fruits and vegetables into the juicer--
it will take care of discarding the skins, leaves, and pulp for you.
All that’s left for you is a nutritious, low-calorie juice to zing your tastebuds.
Here are a few juicers you can try out:
- The nutribullet juicer is easy to clean, easy to use, and is still affordable!
- While some juicers are big and bulky, this compact option is a space saver in the kitchen.
Bonus Item: Freezer Bags
If you live your life on-the-go,
one item you’ll want to have handy is freezer bags!
With freezer bags, you can create your smoothies and juices ahead of time.
If you are able to make your smoothies and juices ahead of time, you’ll be able to ensure that your ingredients stay fresh.
This helps in two ways:
- It saves you money
- It reduces food waste
Stasher is a great go-to brand for reusable bags!
Sweet Potato Power Smoothie from Ashley of Blissful Basil
Ingredients to Create the Best Smoothies and Juices:
Once you start experimenting with the different smoothie and juice recipes—
You’ll start to see how much variety these drinks can have!
If you are feeling a little overwhelmed in this department,
There is a basic blueprint you can follow to create the perfect smoothie or juice recipe every single time!
Here it is:
1. Liquid Base
When it comes to making smoothies, you’ll need to add some liquid in there! Here are the most popular options:
- Plant-based milk
Choose any fruit you like to be the star of your drink! Here are a few crowd favorites:
- This fruit is ultra-creamy and complements tons of flavors. Just one banana has 450 mg of potassium!
- Raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries are a great addition to juices and smoothies because of their tart flavor and rich nutritional value. Plus, they transform the color of your smoothie so that it looks as good as it tastes!
- Acidic fruits
- Oranges, lemons, and pineapple are all great fruits to add to your drink- especially juices. They are filled with vitamin C and can give you a great boost of energy!
Adding a touch of green helps you get an entire serving of vegetables in, without chewing your way through a salad.
Here are some easy ones to try out:
- This leafy green has vitamin K, vitamin A, folate, and iron, making it a great green for vegans to enjoy.
- This curly cruciferous vegetable is packed with powerful antioxidants.
4. Nuts and Seeds
Nuts and seeds are high in calories, protein, and essential vitamins like omega-3s.
Grinding them up in a smoothie is a great way to get a boost of nutrition!
Here are a few you can add to your drink:
- Chia Seeds
- Flax Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Hemp Hearts
For ultimate convenience, you can buy this organic 3-seed blend.
5. Protein Powder
If you’re putting in extra hours at the gym, but you’re unsure of how to get all of your protein in—
Then adding a scoop or two of vegan protein powder is your best bet!
For most people, adding in 15-30 grams of protein is perfectly adequate to compliment your healthy diet.
Here are two trusted brands to add to your smoothies:
For that final touch, consider adding a few spices to your juice or smoothie!
Surprisingly, spices don’t just add flavor—
Many of them are chalk-full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
There you have it—
All of the elements you need to create your very own superfood smoothie!
Wild Blueberry, Brazil Nut and Tahini Smoothie from Ashley of Blissful Basil
15 Vegan Smoothie and Juice Recipes to Help You Get Your Glow On
Now that you have the blueprint to create the perfect smoothie on your own,
here are the best juice and smoothie recipes to try!
Some of these flavors are familiar and classic...
while others are a bit more challenging to the palette.
Take this year to try new things and give these recipes a whirl!
- To kick it off, try this classic ginger turmeric lemonade juice by Veggie Society. It’s anti-inflammatory and detoxifying!
- Kale, cucumber, and celery make this detoxifying green juice by The Glowing Fridge a perfect boost. It’s the perfect mix of tasty and refreshing!
- Grapefruit, ginger, and beets make this detox juice recipe by Active Vegetarian a powerful combination.
- To try something a little different, check out this liver cleansing green juice by Munchyesta, complete with licorice powder. (Fun fact: licorice can help restore digestive balance!)
- Packed with electrolytes, this detox juice has coconut water and kiwi for a green juice with a touch of sweetness.
- This ginger banana green smoothie by Fooduzzi brings a zing of flavor to your morning!
- Orchids and Sweet Tea includes leafy greens and cucumber in her super green detox smoothie.
- If you’re going to enjoy one thing today, let it be this ultimate green smoothie. Filled with blueberries, pineapple, and flax seeds to “hide the green taste.”
- For a twist on the more subtle green smoothies, try out this healthy avocado smoothie by Bree’s Vegan Life.
- This green smoothie by I Love Vegan is not your average contender. It is filled with protein like hemp hearts, natural peanut butter, slivered almonds.
- For a carb-filled smoothie, try this unique sweet potato power smoothie by Blissful Basil.
- There are smoothies, and then there are smoothie bowls! This chocolate peanut butter smoothie bowl by GoMacro is dreamy.
- This carrot-cake smoothie by Eating Bird Food sounds indulgent, but it’s actually super healthy and filling! The perfect go-to if you want a healthy recipe to satisfy that sweet tooth.Carrot juice, creamy banana, and protein powder make this smoothie stand out.
- Coffee lovers- this one's for you!Don’t knock this fruit and coffee combo by Cook at Home Mom until you try it.
- Blissful Basil has concocted the perfect superfood smoothie! Complete with blueberries and brazil nuts.
- Pineapple, blueberry, and chia seeds by North South Blonde create the perfect morning drink!
- Packed with vitamin A and beta-carotene, this carrot and mango smoothie by The Forked Spoon is outstanding.
- Probiotics help keep the good bacteria in your body working! This berry smoothie by Vibrant Plate uses coconut yogurt as a natural probiotic.
- Perfect for the spring or summer, this soft ginger peach detox smoothie by Build Your Bite is a delicate treat.
- Beets can regulate blood pressure and even help improve athletic performance! It also is a juicy, vivid vegetable for smoothies like this one from Three Little Chickpeas.
Kickstart Your Year: The Best Vegan Smoothies and Juices for 2021
There you have it--
everything you need to know to concoct healthy and delicious vegan smoothies and juices!
Whether you are looking for a short-term detox to feel refreshed,
or you’re looking to build sustainable healthy habits in 2021—
Vegan smoothies and juices can help you on your journey.
These vegan drinks are packed with nutritional value to help you look and feel your best every day.
Interested in learning more about healthy vegan eating? Check out our guide to low-carb vegan meals!