“Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper” the famed nutritionist Adelle Davis once said.
Luckily, breakfast is the best meal of the day!
Cooking up a vegan breakfast is all about thinking outside of the box. Mixing the savory with the sweet and putting a twist on traditional breakfasts are the bread and dairy-free butter of vegan cooking.
Until you get the hang of it, vegan breakfast can be a tricky meal to navigate!
That is why we have created a complete guide to vegan breakfast. We have thought of every detail: from your weekly shopping list to ordering at a restaurant so that you don’t have to.
In this article, here’s what you’ll read:
- Breakfast Shopping List Essentials
- 35 Unbelievable Vegan Breakfast Ideas
- 3 Foolproof Tips and Tricks for Eating Out
Read on to hear delicious tips and tricks for conquering vegan breakfast!
Shopping List Essentials for Creative Vegan Breakfasts
First things first:
You need to stock your kitchen for the week in order to make delicious meals!
One easy place to start is to write down your meal plan for the week. For breakfast, it’s easy to choose a “meal type” and then work around that the entire week.
For example, you can choose to make different types of oatmeal for the week. Oats will be the base, and then you can differentiate the toppings throughout the week! Same goes for meals like breakfast burritos, tofu scrambles, toast, etc.
Once you choose your primary meal type for the week, then it will be easy to shop for the staples.
Here are the vegan staples you should keep fully stocked in your kitchen:
- Cayenne Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Nutritional Yeast
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning
- Maple Syrup
- Agave Syrup
- Hot Sauce
Your choice of cooking oil is really up to your personal preference! As long as you have one of the following, you’ll be all set to conquer any tasty vegan breakfasts.
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Avocado Oil
Any plant-based milk will do for your recipes.
A great hack for vegans is to purchase plant-based milk that is fortified with vitamin D, calcium, and B12. This milk tastes delicious and helps you get your essential nutrients.
- Oat Milk
- Almond Milk
- Soy Milk
Grains are going to be the center of many vegan breakfast recipes. Choose your favorite and keep it handy!
- Tortilla Wraps
- Whole Grain Toast
Do not worry if you are gluten-free!
There are tons of naturally gluten-free vegan breakfasts that we will list in this guide. You can also try gluten-free bread and tortilla wraps as an alternative.
Spreading your protein intake throughout your day has proven to help with hunger control, weight loss, and steady energy levels.
Keep your favorite protein stocked to incorporate into your breakfasts!
- Black beans
- Peanut butter
- Nuts and seeds
- Hemp hearts
- Plant-based protein powder
Fruit and Veggies:
Fruits and veggies are great to add to a breakfast skillet, toast, smoothies, and on top of a bowl of oatmeal!
With vegan cooking, there are no set rules. Follow your taste buds and add in your favorite fruits and vegetables!
Here are the most common fruits and vegetables for breakfast to give you some ideas:
- Red Pepper
- Sweet Potatoes
When you’re shopping, keep all of these food categories in mind.
As long as you have at least one thing from each category, we promise you that by the end of reading this guide you will feel confident in whipping up a vegan breakfast feast!
35 Unbelievable Vegan Breakfast Ideas For You to Discover
Most people get stuck in a rut when it comes to cooking up breakfast.
No one is to blame—
It just happens when people are in a rush to get to work and their taste buds haven’t woken up yet.
However, taking a little bit of time to create a stellar breakfast in the mornings is going to keep you energized throughout the day.
To help you get out of your cooking rut, here is a list of 35 vegan breakfast recipes to completely transform your mornings!
Everyone loves a filling breakfast that carries you over until lunch. Convenient and delicious, here are the best of the best:
- Vegan Breakfast Burrito filled with sweet potatoes, tofu, avocado, and greens - By Choosing Chia
- Stuffed Vegan Burrito filled with veggies, tomatoes and tofu - By Food and Wine
- Mini Burritos filled with black beans, hummus, and veggies By The Nutrition Adventure
- Thick and Spicy Burrito filled with black beans, corn, and red pepper By The Happy Pear
- The Mushroom Burrito - By Avantgardevegan
All About Oats
Oats are one of the most versatile foods out there!
Mixing in sweet or savory toppings transforms boring old porridge into one of the most satisfying breakfasts around.
This opens up the playing field for thousands of different recipes to try every day. Give these few a shot and then experiment until you find the perfect combo.
- Quick and Easy Oatmeal topped with fresh fruit - By Simply Vegan Blog
7-12. 5 Overnight Recipes with everything from peanut butter and jelly to tropical mango - By Pick Up Limes
- Heart Healthy Oatmeal with mashed bananas and topping suggestions- By Veggie Inspired
- Savory Oatmeal with spices like turmeric, onion and chili flakes- By Cooking With Plants
Eggs are typically a breakfast time staple. Luckily, geniuses around the world have come up with the egg alternatives so that vegans can enjoy some delicious classics!
Let’s forget about boring scrambled eggs and cut to the good stuff:
Omelets are made to order, so try out a few of these recipes to find the right combination for you!
- Chickpea Omelette with Veggies with cheesy nutritional yeast and vegetables of your choice- By The Hidden Veggies
- Fluffy and Crispy Omelette made with rice flour and silken tofu- By Nora Cooks (pictured as the cover to this blog post!)
- Omelet with All the Basics with fresh flavors like paprika and lemon - By The Food Medic
- The Potato Omelette, a vegan take on the Spanish classic - By Tasty Vegan Bites
- More Veggies for your Vegan Omelette with fresh kale, lime, and avocado- By Happy Skin Kitchen
Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go Quick Breakfasts
Everyone has those high-stress mornings where they barely wake up on time to get dressed, let alone eat.
Grab something quick that you’ve prepared, or whip up a smoothie in the blink of an eye. This way you can leave the house satisfied instead of toughing it out until lunch.
- Your 5 Minute Smoothie with a fruit medley, chia, and ginger- By Kitchn
22-25. 3 Ways to Make Granola Bars Ahead of Time - with quick oats, rice crisps, and nut butter - By From My Bowl
- No-Bake Protein Balls For Your Health packed with spices, protein powder, and nut butter - By AnnieJaffrey
Just the word brunch invokes thoughts of cozy family gatherings, crips mimosas, and springtime! These vegan breakfast dishes are dressed to impress.
Give them a try, and they might even turn into your “signature dish!”
- Creamy Potato Casserole with raw cashews, nutritional yeast, and garlic - By Blissful Basil
- Broccoli Quiche with fresh tastes like bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms- By The Spruce Eats
- The Vegan Breakfast Bowl with hashbrowns, spices, and fresh vegetables - By Choosing Chia
Pastries are a Girl's Best Friend
A little something sweet to start the day can never be a bad thing, right?
Give in to your sweet tooth with these scrumptious breakfast pastries!
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins that are sweet and classic - By The Simple Veganista
- Chocolate Doughnut Holes sprinkled with pistachios- By Elephantastic Vegan
- Banana Oat Cookies with cinnamon and dried cranberries - By Yummly
Full Platter Vegan Feasts
Being overwhelmed by your own breakfast platter is one of life’s greatest pleasures. Enjoy these traditional classics with a vegan twist. You won’t be disappointed!
- Full English Breakfast with vegan bacon, sausages and more - By Delish
- Full Fried Breakfast with scrambled tofu and vegan sausages - By BBC GoodFood
- The Classic American Breakfast with cubed potatoes and vegan bacon- Vegan but Lazy
Sticking to Veganism: 3 Foolproof Tips and Tricks for Eating Out
If you are new to veganism, eating out can be intimidating.
Being caught off guard at a restaurant can lead to getting flustered. Don’t worry about it, we’ve all been there.
We’ve compiled a few tips and tricks to stay ahead of the curve so that you can feel confident ordering at a restaurant and sticking to your vegan diet!
Not to mention, these tips and tricks will help you leave the restaurant feeling satisfied as well.
1. Look at the Menu Ahead of Time
If you have the luxury of knowing where you’ll be eating out ahead of time, check out the menu in advance!
More and more restaurants are labeling their menus with a special sign for vegan recipes.
Look for the “ve” or a small leaf!
These symbols are going to turn into your best friend if you are a vegan.
If restaurants do not label their menu, don’t worry! You can look on the menu for the three magic words:
“Made to order.”
If this is the case, it is more than likely that you will be able to request some small adjustments to make your meal vegan.
Looking ahead and finding the vegan options on the menu will give you confidence and peace of mind.
If all else fails...
Don’t be afraid to ask whoever it is you’re dining with to switch locations. At some restaurants, vegan options are simply not available.
There are lots of restaurants out there to try instead! Most people are surprisingly accommodating.
Make your diet clear, and the rest will fall into place.
2. Don’t be Afraid to Ask about Alternatives
When you are out to eat, don’t be afraid to ask your waiter about the ingredients of a meal if it isn’t clear! It is better to be safe than sorry.
You also should not be afraid to ask if they will make any adjustments for you. Most kitchens are more than willing to accommodate your requests.
Questions to keep in mind are:
- Do you have a milk alternative?
- Can I substitute the meat for fruit?
- Can I substitute butter for olive oil or jam?
- Can this be made to order?
3. Don’t Underestimate the Power of Sides
If your eyes are scanning the menu and you simply cannot find a vegan breakfast plate on there, don’t forget to take a look at the sides!
This tactic is underrated but wildly effective.
Think about it:
Most side dishes are naturally vegan! Pick two or three and you’ll have a full-on vegan breakfast platter. Here are some favorite side combos:
- Breakfast potatoes, toast, and a cup of fruit
- Oats, fruit, toast
- DIY avocado toast and breakfast potatoes
- Baked beans on toast
These tips and tricks will give you the confidence to venture out and devour vegan breakfasts anywhere. Research your options, don’t be afraid to ask questions, and when in doubt- get a little creative!
Breakfast Like a King
With this complete guide to vegan breakfast, you are now unstoppable.
So don’t waste away your day looking forward to lunch and dinner. Instead, get a kickstart in the morning with these incredible breakfast ideas.
Whether you are in a rush, trying to get your kids to eat, planning an incredible brunch with friends, or enjoying breakfast out on the town, a delicious vegan breakfast is within your reach.
Use our shopping guide to keep vegan staples in your home and mix and match your ingredients to make a 5-star breakfast every time. The great thing about breakfast is that it’s almost impossible to screw up.
So get creative in the kitchen and share what recipes you try out!
Enjoy reading about the vegan lifestyle? Make sure to check out our guide: How to Transition to a Plant-Based Diet!
[ cover photo by Nora Cooks ]