Sugar, spice, and everything nice—
That’s what vegan desserts are made of!
Vegan desserts and baking can be elusive to the new vegan.
The questions “Where can I shop?” “How can I bake without eggs?” will undoubtedly haunt you.
Don’t worry. I’m here to break down how to get the best vegan desserts. Here’s what we'll cover:
- Vegan Baking: Unbelievable Substitute Ingredients and Simple Baking Hacks
- Vegan Desserts: 27 Vegan Recipes to Die For!
- The Convenient Indulgence: Store-Bought Vegan Goodies
- Decadent Desserts: Vegan Treats to Have Delivered
Click on any of the topics above to jump to that section!
Ready to give in to your sweet tooth?
Vegan Baking: Unbelievable Substitute Ingredients and Simple Baking Hacks
Are there a few desserts that you can’t get out of your head, but unfortunately they aren’t vegan?
If you want to whip up your grandma’s famous apple pie or try out that key-lime cupcake recipe from your friend's wedding, then these vegan baking hacks will help you.
Eggs are traditionally used in baking because they provide structure to the batter. They can help emulsify custards or creams, and they help recipes maintain moisture.
There are quite a few vegan alternatives you can use that will give your recipes the same oomph.
Here are my favorites:
- Chia Seeds: You can use 1 tbs. of chia seeds combined with ⅓ cup of water for one egg substitute. Make sure to give the chia seeds some time to absorb the water. They will become gelatinous and add some extra nutrition to your baking!
- Applesauce: Who knew? ¼ cup of applesauce is the perfect low-calorie substitute for eggs in baking.
- Peanut Butter: Looking to add some flavor and some creamy texture to your recipe? Use 3 tbsp of peanut butter in place of eggs.
- Bananas: Add one more reason to the list of why bananas are a vegan’s best friend. You can use ½ banana for every egg the recipe calls for.
- Flaxseeds: Ground flax seeds combined with water are another egg substitute you can use. The ratio you will need is 2.5 tbsp of flaxseed to 3 tbsp. of water.
Plant-based milk substitutes are no stranger to the kitchen anymore! Even amongst non-vegans, these delicious dairy milk alternatives are on the rise.
With more options than ever, experiment in the kitchen to find your favorite:
- Oat Milk
- Soy Milk
- Almond Milk
- Cashew Milk
- Rice Milk
- Coconut Milk (whole-fat coconut milk is great for custards and creams!)
When it comes to vegan, you can often substitute oil in place of butter:
- Sunflower oil
- Olive oil
- Avocado oil
- Coconut oil
However, if you’re looking to work with something that's a bit closer to dairy-butter, there are a few amazing vegan butter brands you can try:
Desserts call for a little something sweet. The majority of sugar brands are naturally vegan, so no need to worry there!
If the recipe calls for honey, you can use these cruelty-free alternatives:
- Agave Nectar: This nectar comes from the agave plant
- Bee Free Honee: This vegan alternative to honey is made from apples
- Maple Syrup
- Sorghum Syrup: You may not have heard of it, but this alternative is available in most mainstream grocery stores
Vegan Baking Hacks to Get You Started
If you’re having a hard time keeping everything straight, head on over to Youtube to get tips from master vegan bakers!
Here are our favorite three videos to get you started in the kitchen:
- This video by Dani Vida goes over tons of specific brands you can use to substitute to help you get started.
- Michy’s Food breaks down vegan baking in her video Vegan Baking Hacks. Silken tofu in baking? Apple cider vinegar and almond milk? Don’t knock it until you try it!
- The video Vegan Baking Basics by the pastry chef Andreja will help you whip up some vegan delicacies in no time.
Vegan Desserts: 27 Vegan Recipes to Die For!
Ready to jump into the kitchen?
Here are 27 absolutely mouth-watering vegan dessert recipes to try out. Here are the categories of desserts I’ll be going over:
- Cakes to Satisfy Your Cravings
- Perfect Pie Recipes
- Fresh New Cookie Recipes
- Delicious Dessert Bars
- Miscellaneous Desserts to Munch On
Cakes to Satisfy Your Cravings
Cakes are the dessert for a big event. Whether its a wedding, baby shower, or classic birthday party:
Cakes are the dessert to beat.
Try out these incredible vegan cake recipes for your next event:
- First things first, here is the recipe to the BEST vegan chocolate cake by Hot Chocolate Hits. There is a reason this cake is a classic!
- For cheesecake lovers, check out this recipe with salted caramel fudge sauce by Loving It Vegan!
- Looking for a refreshing recipe on a hot summer day? Look no further than this Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cake by Rainbow Plant Life.
- A crowd favorite, whip up this healthy vegan carrot cake by Simply Plant Based Kitchen.
- Headed to a brunch? Look no further than this simple vegan coffee cake recipe by Nora Cooks.
- Check out your new favorite recipe! These Vegan Key Lime cupcakes by Loving It Vegan are scrumptious.
- Get out of a dessert rut with these vegan earl grey cupcakes with blueberry lemon frosting by Short Girl Tall Order.
Perfect Pie Recipes
Few things hit the spot quite like a well-made pie. Check out these vegan takes on old classics.
- As American as vegan apple pie! Bring this treat by Joy Food Sunshine to your 4th of July gathering.
- Create this delectable banana cream pie by The Whole Kitchen Sink.
- Okay, okay… I’m not 100% sure that this counts as pie but I couldn’t leave it out. Try out this vegan spin on Oatmeal Cream Pies by Be Plant Well.
Fresh New Cookie Recipes
Tired of the same old cookies in the cookie jar?
Not to worry—
These recipes will reignite your passion for these treats!
- If you’re short on time, try this simple 4-ingredient Peanut Butter Cookie recipe by The Conscious Plant Kitchen.
- These Tahini Turtle Cookies by Veggiekins are so cute, they’re worth making just to take a picture of!
- Looking for a recipe with a bit more sophistication? Look no further than these Vegan Salted Espresso Brookies by Short Girl Tall Order.
- If you’re looking for something simple, try these Lemon Meltaway Cookies by Chocolate Covered Katie.
- Sticking with the citrus theme, you won’t be able to put these Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies by Be Plant Well down!
Delicious Dessert Bars
Dessert bars are making a comeback, and I couldn’t be more excited about it! Dessert bars are a great option for big parties because they are super tasty but easy to serve.
- For a decadent treat, create the Red Velvet Dessert Bars by Ela Vegan.
- Save this Sweet Potato Gingerbread Bars recipe by Sweet Potato Soul for your holiday get-togethers!
- A fan of coffee? Try these Vegan Mocha Dream Bars by Hot For Food.
Miscellaneous Desserts to Munch On
They didn’t fit in another category—
But I couldn’t bear to leave them out!
- Full of nutty goodness, these no-bake Turtle Brownies by Purely Kaylie need to be on your list.
- Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls by Under the Willow Tree? Dreams really do come true!
- This take on the old Italian classic by Vegan on Board will have even your non-vegan friends asking for seconds.
- A little spice never hurt anyone. Check out these Chai Blondies by Mimi Newman.
- Looking for a romantic dessert for two? Make sure to give this Vegan Creme Brulee by Namely Marly a try.
6-9. You can customize banana “nice” cream to create a ton of different flavors! Watch this video by Foodies of South Africa for four ideas.
Also, if you're interested in more dairy-free alternatives, check out our comprehensive dairy-free guide.
The Convenient Indulgence: Store-Bought Vegan Goodies
If baking isn’t your thing, but you still want to indulge in amazing vegan desserts—
Have no fear!
Mainstream grocery stores are getting with the picture and carrying incredible vegan goodies. Keep these desserts in your mind when you head to the grocery store. This will save you a ton of time reading through label after label to find out what you can enjoy.
Many stores are offering curbside pick-up or even delivery. Add these vegan goodies online and thank yourself later!
Whole Foods does not mess around when it comes to vegan options—
And vegan desserts are no exception!
Whole Foods does a great job of labeling their vegan options, so keep your eyes peeled and enjoy the following:
- Pumpkin Pie
- Carrot Cake
- Cocoa Mousse Cake
- Caramel Crunch Torte
- Oatmeal Walnut Date Scone
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
All of these yummy treats can be found in the baked good section of the store.
Having trouble finding something?
Whole Foods has staff specialized in each store area to help you hunt down these vegan treats.
If you have a family, you are probably no stranger to Costco. The bulk-buyer’s heaven, this store has no shortage of vegan desserts.
- GoGo Quinoa’s Super Grain Chocolate Cookies — Health treat or dessert? You decide!
- Say hello to your new summer snack: Chloe’s Pops. These freezer pops come in Dark Chocolate and Mango flavors.
- These Organic Dark Chocolate Belgian Thins are seriously addicting. (And, surprisingly healthy.)
This German-based grocery store has become a community favorite thanks to its low-prices.
Thanks to their excellent produce and long list of vegan items, this store has also made it into the hearts of vegan shoppers! Here are our favorite vegan desserts you can buy from there:
- Vegan Almond Milk Ice Cream by Earth Grown. Waste no time trying their Mocha Fudge flavor!
- Don’t feel like making a cake? Aldis has you covered with its Belgian Vegan Chocolate Cake, another creation of Earth Grown.
If you are located near a Publix—
You are in good hands!
This grocery store takes the cake when it comes to vegan desserts you can buy. Here are just a few you can find:
- Dessert for breakfast? Yes, please! Publix has vegan apple turnovers by Pepperidge Farms that are scrumptious.
- The New York Cheezecake by Daiya is almost too good to be true. (Bonus— it’s gluten-free, too!)
- Searching for cookies? Check out the Enjoy Life brand. Their top three flavors are chocolate chip, sugar crisp, and double chocolate brownie.
Decadent Desserts: Vegan Treats to Have Delivered
I’d be remiss if I didn’t draw your attention to a few of the amazing vegan bakeries that—
Drum roll please…
Send these tasty vegan desserts to a friend to cheer them up. (While you’re at it, send another box to your front doorstep.)
- Greyston Bakery: Order the vegan delight from this Certified B Corporation and have your taste buds blown away! This bakery cares for the planet by being mindful of their food waste.
- Southern Roots Vegan Bakery: I’m not sure how I made it this far without talking about donuts… but this is their moment! This bakery ships vegan donuts nationwide. Throw in a few cookies while from this Texas-based, Black-Owned business while you’re ordering!
- Tubby’s Taste:In search of cookies? This Chicago-based cookie shop ships nationwide. The owner comes from a long line of Jamaican cake ladies and isn’t afraid of bold flavors.
- Creekhouse Chocolates: This chocolate company has vegan truffles to die for. Expand your truffle repertoire with the Berry, Berry and Chili Mango flavor.
Like they say—
The stomach is the pathway to the heart.
What better way to show someone (or yourself) that you love them than by sending a bit of vegan goodness?
Save Room for Vegan Dessert!
Trying a few of these vegan desserts is bound to leave you in a sugar-coma for the week!
It’s totally worth it.
Now you are fully equipped to enjoy some amazing vegan desserts.
Whether you are a novice baker, a professional chef, or a busy shopper on the go, take a moment to enjoy the sweeter things in life!
Enjoy learning about vegan life and healthy eating? Be sure to read "How to Transition to a Plant-Based Diet [for Beginners]" for more great tips!