A whole day dedicated to celebrating the people you love?
Nothing is more adorable than that.
Valentine’s day is right around the corner--
and it is the perfect opportunity to tell the people in your life how much you care.
Now, of all the days in a year that we share our love with others…
How did we get this one day?
What makes this love-day so special?
Well, it’s quite the story…
With lots of (vegan-friendly) ways to commemorate the holiday!
Whether you want to share the love with someone you see every day—
Or someone you haven’t spoken to in weeks, a simple Valentine’s day gift is a sweet gesture that will brighten their day.
Are you interested in the best vegan valentine’s day gifts?
Then stick around.
Here’s what we’ll be covering:
- Valentine’s Day to Galentine’s Day: The Complete History
- Veganize Valentine’s Day: Vegan Alternatives to Classic Gifts
- Vegan Valentine’s Day Ideas: 20 Gifts for Her, for Him, for Everyone!
Let’s spread the love!
Valentine’s Day to Galentine’s Day: The Complete History
Everyone knows that Valentine’s Day takes place on February 14th.
But how did it get started?
This holiday is actually rooted in the Roman festival called Lupercalia.
This festival was a celebration of spring and included elements like fertility rites and the pairing of couples.
Towards the end of the 5th century,
the Pope actually named this holiday St. Valentine’s day after a Christian martyr--
A martyr named Valentine.
There are actually several different people named Valentine that this may have honored...
but the bottom line is this:
ever since then,
this holiday has since been associated with giving gifts to those that you love.
Around the 1500s, Valentine cards started to be commercially printed and given,
and in the 1800’s we started associating the holiday with Cupid—
The Roman God of love.
Traditional gifts back then included many of the same gifts we give today:
- Valentines cards
Celebrating Valentine’s Day Around the World:
In the present day, Valentine’s day is celebrated in many different countries all over the world!
They each have unique traditions to celebrate their love.
Here are a few different country’s traditions that are too sweet to handle:
In this country, February 14th is also known as St. Trifon’s Day—
or winemaker’s day.
Couples like to celebrate their love with a glass (or two) of their favorite wine.
People of this country celebrate not just 1 day focused on couples—
But about a dozen!
They actually celebrate love in an “off the calendar” holiday every month of the year.
For Valentine’s Day, they celebrate a lot as we do in the United States.
Only women give gifts to their partners!
Men can sit back and relax on this holiday.
In this Eastern European country, they actually celebrate something called Dragobete
(which is named after the Romanian equivalent of Cupid!)
This is a day where boys and girls would reveal their relationship.
They have a sweet tradition of going out to nature to pick flowers, go to the river, and perform traditional Romanian dances.
Valentine’s day is celebrated widely in France,
but one town in particular, is a magical place to be between the 12th-14th of February—
Here, you can find homes decorated in roses and love notes,
and be delighted by watching multiple proposals.
Here, people are bold about celebrating their love!
It is a fun tradition to pin the name of your crush on your sleeve for all to see on Valentine’s Day.
No anonymous secret admirers here.
To read more about different traditions around the world, check out this fun article.
The Fun History of Galentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day may be over 1,500 years old….
But its popular counterpart Galentine’s Day started just 11 years ago.
How so, you ask?
Well, it originated from the popular TV show, Parks and Rec.
In the episode Galentine’s Day is created, Leslie Knope hosts a celebration for her lady friends on February 13th.
This sparked a cultural phenomenon, and now ladies all over the United States get together with their closest friends on February 13th to celebrate their platonic friendships!
Our friends are the people in our lives who have been with us through thick and thin.
This Galentine’s Day, here are a few popular ways that you can celebrate the close friendships that you have:
Have Spa Day:
Spoil yourself and your friends by getting a facial, massage, pedicure, you name it.
You can even host a spa day from the comfort of your home.
Go on a Hike:
Walking and talking outdoors with your best friend can feel like the best kind of therapy.
This Galentine’s Day—
Explore a trail you’ve never been on before and enjoy each other’s company.
At-Home Wine Tasting:
Many breweries and wineries are closed for the time being,
but don’t let that stop you from enjoying the experience!
Host a virtual wine tasting event with your lady friends for tons of laughs.
Try a Vegan Potluck:
If you have a few excellent cooks in your friend group—
Try hosting a vegan potluck!
Each person can choose their favorite dish and you can enjoy a feast celebrating friendship.
Pick a few recipes from Rachel Ama’s cookbook for a delicious meal.
Vegan Cookie Exchange:
You can host a vegan cookie exchange with friends far and wide.
This is a great way to introduce your friends to each other if they run in different circles as well.
Write a Handwritten Letter:
If you can’t get together in-person this Galentine’s Day--
consider sending your closest friends a handwritten letter.
Rarely do we take the time we should to say how much the people in our lives mean to us!
A handwritten letter is going to boost their spirit and strengthen your friendship.
Veganize Valentine’s Day: Vegan Alternatives to Classic Gifts
Like most holidays, it will take a few tricks up your sleeve to make it 100% vegan.
Whether or not the people in your life are vegan—
Giving gifts that are animal-friendly is a way to stay true to your values while you celebrate the people you love.
When we think of Valentine’s Day, there are a few gifts associated with the holiday!
Read on to hear how you can veganize these gifts for the vegan Valentine’s Day of your dreams.
Chocolate is the decadent dessert of love!
While milk chocolate is obviously not vegan,
there are a ton of dairy-free alternatives that are 100% vegan-friendly.
Here are just a few brands to shop this Valentine’s Day:
Many couples enjoy having a few glasses of wine on this romantic holiday!
While lots of wine is vegan...
there are several brands that are not vegan or even vegetarian.
The reason for this has to do with the “fining” process, which is responsible for making wines clear and bright.
Many of the popular fining agents are animal-based, such as casein, egg whites, and gelatin.
Not to worry though—
There are plenty of vegan wines out on the market today that you can enjoy!
Here are a few brands you can try:
Candles are the perfect way to create a romantic atmosphere on Valentine’s Day.
But before you give a candle as a gift or light the wick—
You’ll want to check that it is free of animal-derived ingredients like milk.
There are tons of soy-based candles that you can enjoy on Valentine’s Day to create the perfect mood.
Vegan Valentine’s Day Ideas: 20 Gifts for Her, for Him, for Everyone!
As we mentioned, Valentine’s day is not a day that is exclusively about celebrating the love between couples.
It’s so much more than that!
Valentine’s day is the perfect excuse to spoil anyone that you love—
Whether that is your sweet distant relatives,
a group of friends you love catching up with,
or even your family...
In this gift guide, we’ve compiled the best vegan-friendly gifts for your closest friends and family!
Best Vegan Gifts for Your Significant Other:
Is there anything better than making your significant other smile?
Nope, there really isn’t.
If you’re in a new relationship, we have gifts on this list that will make you laugh and smile with your partner.
If you’re in a long-term committed relationship—
This list’s still got ya covered.
- This vegan leather messenger bag by Hat Blast is the perfect gift that a guy would never think to buy for himself. It can be even worn in multiple different ways!
- For something sweet but not too serious, whip up this easy vegan chocolate covered strawberry recipe by Loving It Vegan for a romantic afternoon.
- The perfect way to start your Valentine’s Day morning is to have breakfast in bed with your partner! This vegan french toast recipe by My Darling Vegan adds a sweet touch, and this wooden breakfast tray from Wayfair will elevate the meal.
- For a more expensive gift that your partner will love, these masculine vegan watches are a fashionable choice.
- If your significant other is also vegan, then spring for this ultimate terra vegan cheese and charcuterie board from Gold Belly! You’ll both be delighted to try the different flavors they’ve created.
- Is your partner a writer? Giving a cork leather notebook is a thoughtful gift they’ll cherish.
- If your boyfriend or husband is also vegan, they’ll get a kick out of these cute veggie socks.
- Having a custom cartoon portrait done of you and your significant other is something you will both love for the years to come.
Vegan Gifts for the Whole Family:
Make Valentine’s day extra sweet for the whole family by spending some quality time together.
These gifts are opportunities to bring the whole family together to bond!
- It’s commonly known that food is the way to people’s hearts! Why not buy a cookbook for the family on Valentine’s day and choose a meal to create together? This vegan cookbook from Sweet Potato Soul never disappoints.
- Another touching way to make Valentine’s day special is to create some vegan fortune cookies filled with things you love about your family members. These treats are yummy and sure to put a smile on everyone’s face. This is also a great gift to wrap up and send to extended family to let them know you’re thinking of them.
- Socks are an underrated Valentine’s gift that everyone will love. Avoid the typical wool fabrics and stock up on these funky socks made from bamboo.
- Let your love grow with this kitchen herb garden kit. If you have kids, this is a fun little science experiment to try out.
- Creating your own cards is a lost art that will be fun to pass along to your kids. Create homemade cards together with these kits and send them to aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins that might live far away. Don’t worry, the glue in this kit is 100% vegan.
Vegan Gifts for your Best Friends:
We all know in our hearts the importance of friendships, especially long-term female friendships.
But did you know there is actually science behind it?
Nurturing your relationships with your closest female friends can encourage oxytocin and serotonin, the bonding hormone.
For many women, their adult friends become even closer to them than family.
Being able to be 100% yourself around people is so important!
Valentine’s Day and Galentine’s Day are the perfect occasions to send your friends a small vegan gift to spread the love and celebrate the leading ladies in your life.
- Could this tiny soy-based terrarium candle be any cuter? Nope, don’t think so.
- If you and your friends have been socially distanced, these redeemable tokens are the perfect gift to have handy when you are back to seeing each other in person.
- This springtime paint by number kit is a thoughtful gift that will help your friend unwind, relax, and get a little creative.
- For a gift they’ll love showing off— look no further than this wooden zodiac compact pocket mirror by Bombus.
- Something simple, something sweet. Vegan chocolate is always the perfect gift.
- Help your friends relax with these 100% vegan facemasks.
- Send your friend a sample perfume box from PHLUR. Their brand is 100% vegan and their scents are out of this world.
Your Gift Guide for the Perfect Vegan Valentine’s Day
Now you know a little bit more about Valentine’s day and the infamous Galentine’s day!
This year, we could all use a little extra sweetness,
and Valentine’s day is the perfect occasion to celebrate the people that you love—
Whether it’s your significant other, your kids, or your closest friends.
Are you interested in learning about how to kickstart your health in 2021?
Make sure to check out our article all about vegan smoothies!